Before you start
- Make sure you haven’t changed your domain contact information recently. Changing your domain contact information can lock the domain for 60 days and prevent transfer. Before changing any contact information, ask your provider if this will lock your domain.
- If you are transferring a country code top-level domain (ccTLD), such as .com.au or .uk, please review all transfer requirements first. To learn more about specific ccTLD requirements, please visit the domain TLD price list.
- If your domain uses the "ns1" name server, the transfer may fail. Before starting the transfer process, ask your provider to delete or edit the name server. If your provider cannot change the name server, please try the following transfer process, if it fails, please contact us.
- If your domain has an appropriate Domain Name System Security Extensions (DNSSEC) record, please delete the record before starting the transfer.
- The domain transfer speed depends on your current domain provider. Some domains are transferred within a day, while other domains may take nearly 15 days to complete.
Pricing and billing
Here are the costs of transferring a domain name to Squarespace and how the registration works:
- Pricing is based on TLD and ranges from US$20 to US$70.
- To complete the transfer, you need to pay a one-year domain name registration fee.
- There is no additional charge for the transfer itself.
- In addition to the extra year registered with us, you can also keep the remaining time of registration.
- If you qualify, the extra year of registration may be free.
- Your domain will be renewed at the same price at the end of the registration period.
- Your domain includes free WHOIS privacy and SSL.
Requirements to transfer the domain
Before you begin, please make sure your domain is eligible for transfer. If you are not sure whether your domain complies with these rules, please consult your current registrar.
- The TLD of the domain must be in the list of TLDs Squarespace support. The TLD is the part after the last period in the URL, such as .com.
- It must have been 60 days since you registered or transferred your domain with your current provider.
- Your domain must be active at the current provider. If your domain has expired or may expire during the transfer period, please ask your provider if it is eligible for transfer before starting the process.
Here are the types of domains that cannot be transferred to Squarespace:
- Registry premium domain name
- Domain names that are currently registered for nine years or more
- Subdomain (if you enter a subdomain and click 'Transfer it', Squarespace will try to transfer the root domain to Squarespace)
- Domains containing the words "squarespace" or "sqsp"
- If your domain cannot be transferred to Squarespace, you can try to connect it to your site.
Before transferring your domain to Squarespace, they recommend that you contact your current email provider to ensure that there are no restrictions or issues with the transfer to Squarespace. Some providers require that your domain be hosted with them to keep your email account active. You may also want to back up any important emails, contacts, or settings you may need.