Actions frequency restrictions
- Likes limit: no more than one like every 28 – 36 seconds (1000 likes at a time for a period of 24 hours);
- Followers limit: no more than one like every 28 – 36 seconds and no more than 200 followers an hour (1000 followers at a time for a period of 24 hours);
- Followers + Likes limit: no more than 2000 (1000 + 1000) every 24 hours with the interval of 28 – 38 seconds;
- Unfollow limit: the interval of 12-22 seconds, no more than 1000 every 24 hours from unmutual and 1000 from mutual;
- Mentions limit: 5 nicks in a message with the interval of 350-450 seconds;
- Comments limit: no more than 12-14 an hour with the interval of 350 – 400 seconds, overlimit might be treated as spam;
- Publishing images: you shouldn’t add too many images to a new Instagram account, the best practice is to publish no more than 2-3 images a day, and for older accounts this figure is 9-12 images.
Last Instagram limitations update: 04.28.17
New account limitations
You should keep these in mind in case you’re not sure that Instagram treats your account as a trusted one, or if you want to secure your account from getting blocked to the full.
- The actions interval for the first 12-20 days is 36-48 seconds;
- The total limit for all kinds of actions (follow, unfollow, like) is 500 every 24 hours.
The best strategy for new accounts would be to publish 2 or 3 images and let the account settle in for 2 or 3 weeks.
Breaking Instagram Rules
Slight abuse of these rules won’t get your account blocked, but all actions get summed up, and if at a certain period a critical amount of such actions piles up, it will lead to your page being banned or pessimized.
You can measure the significance of a rule by how often it’s mentioned in a social network’s rules:
- Intellectual property (photos taken by other people) — 12 references;
- Comments (spam) — 4 references;
- Likes (mass liking) — 1 reference;
- Follow (mass following) — 1 reference.
- Frequent change of IP-address. In cases when you log into the account from different services that use different IPs to connect;
- Frequent change of devices. Instagram keeps track of logging devices, and switching between them too often during a short period of time might get your account blocked until your circumstances are clarified;
- Buying an account. Buying an account from an unconscientious seller who had registered and filled up hundreds of pages from one IP gives you high chances of getting this account banned;
- Creating accounts. You should avoid creating accounts with automated devices, scripts, serial adders and other unsanctioned devices.
Boosting up the key figures
- Spam comments. This category of forbidden activities includes using the self-advertisement service, repeated comments, comments with commercial spam, for instance, website URLs and promo codes;
- #hashtag spam. Instagram can freeze your posts’ hashtag indexing in case you publish several images one after another with one and the same set of hashtags. You can tell it’s happened to you when your images are getting published without a description or with non-functioning hashtags;
- Mass following. A drastic and rapid increase in followers puts Instagram algorithms on guard and practically always results in the blocking of your account;
- Mass liking. The situation is the same as with the previous point – a rapid increase in popularity doesn’t go unnoticed by the algorithms and shuts down by having the account blocked.
- Photos taken by other people and people in the photos. Publishing the materials copied from the Internet and publishing the photos of other people is forbidden. The accounts that do that can be blocked at any moment;
- Document photos. Pages get banned for publishing emails, social security numbers, credit card, passport and driver’s license information, and mobile numbers that belong to you or another person;
- One image in several pages. You shouldn’t publish one and the same image in several accounts at one and the same time. This can get all the accounts banned, even though each of them is using its own IP-address;
- Brand pages. If you’re creating a brand page for an organization or any other corporate entity, in this case Instagram will require you to provide proof you’re entitled to this kind of activity.
We have listed the most common reasons that get the pages blocked. The other actions that can lead to sanctions constitute no more than 1% of all blockings.
How to Secure Your Account from Blocking
Take these simple steps to secure your or your company’s account from blocking:
1. Checking the IP-address for blocking in Instagram
Instagram is actively using spam-bases to check IP-addresses for spam activity, one of these bases is called spamhaus. If you register and a promote an Instagram account from an IP-address that is included into this base, your chances of getting the account automatically banned increase dramatically.
2. Safe work with Instagram
The risk of getting an account blocked increases in case it appears from different IP-addresses and different devices. To make your work with Instagram safer, we recommend to use personal proxy IP-addresses with no more than 2 accounts per 1 IP-address, and try not to switch devices used to log into the account.
3. Binding an account to a smartphone
Instagram restrictions actually allow to bind several pages to one and the same phone number, but this is done on purpose and definitely not for your convenience. All the accounts that have one and the same phone number in the profile are filtered and checked extra thoroughly. I strongly suggest that you bind 1 phone number to 1 account and 1 Facebook profile.
What to Do If Your Account has Been Blocked?
– Your Instagram account is blocked, what do you do now?
– The correct answer to this questions is: NOTHING!
Cease the activity in your account for several hours, don’t publish images, don’t like anyone and don’t write comments. If nothing changes in 2-3 hours, you’ll have to wait for 1 – 3 days. The worst infractions can get you banned to up to 5 days.
If Instagram started asking you to enter a capture or confirm your pages, it is a reason to get on guard and fall back.